Norwegian University of Science and Technology University Museum (TRH-L)

The NTNU University Museum is one of six university museums in Norway and is a part of the Norwegian University of Science and Technology, NTNU. The Museum is located at Kalvskinnet in the centre of Trondheim, along with its exhibitions, collections, administration and three of its sections. The Archaeometry Section is located at the Gløshaugen campus of NTNU. Ringve Botanical Gardens can be found at Lade, on the outskirts of Trondheim, and the Kongsvoll Alpine Garden is found in Kongsvoll, in Dovrefjell National Park. The NTNU University Museum has its origins in the Royal Norwegian Society of Sciences and Letters (DKNVS), founded in 1760. In 1926, the Society was reorganized into two sections: the Academy and the Museum. In 1968, the Norwegian Parliament approved a resolution to found the University of Trondheim and the Museum was transferred to the University on 1 April 1984. Further reorganization of the University led to the establishment of the Norwegian University of Science and Technology (NTNU) on 1 January 1996. Since 2005, the NTNU University Museum has been treated at the same level as the University faculties, with representation on the Council of Deans and the Central University Research Committee.
Contacts: Kristian Hassel, kristian.hassel@ntnu.no
Collection Type: Preserved Specimens
Management: Data snapshot of local collection database
Last Update: 3 March 2021
IPT / DwC-A Source:
Digital Metadata: EML File
Usage Rights: CC BY (Attribution)
Rights Holder: NTNU University Museum
Collection Statistics
  • 50,989 specimen records
  • 38,880 (76%) georeferenced
  • 48,408 (95%) identified to species
  • 147 families
  • 510 genera
  • 2,208 species
  • 2,215 total taxa (including subsp. and var.)
Extra Statistics